Are you working in the restaurant industry but feeling stuck and unfulfilled in your role? Or, are you a restaurant owner struggling to keep your business afloat despite your best efforts? If so, the answer to your problems might surprise you: it’s all in the skills and knowledge of your staff!
So, what happens when employees aren’t properly trained? The results are disastrous! Poor customer service, mistakes in food preparation, and other avoidable issues can quickly harm the restaurant’s reputation and drive customers away. Not only does this hurt the bottom line, but it can also lead to a high turnover rate and additional costs for the restaurant.
But here’s the good news – proper employee training is the cure! By providing your employees with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed, you set your restaurant up for success. Properly trained employees are more confident, motivated, and efficient, which leads to increased customer satisfaction, improved operational efficiency, and long-term success.
So, restaurant owners, it’s time to stop neglecting employee training and start investing in your team! Do what’s right, not what’s easy!
Show your FOH employees that they are valued and appreciated by providing them with the tools they need to succeed. And FOH employees, don’t be afraid to ask for training or take initiative to improve your skills. Remember, you are the face of the restaurant and play a crucial role in its success.
In conclusion, proper employee training is the silent killer of restaurant success. Don’t let your restaurant fall victim to this preventable issue. Invest in your employees and watch your restaurant soar to new heights! And if all else fails, remember to keep the customer service snappy, the food hot, and the jokes coming – they’ll never know what hit them!
Here are the benefits of three particular skills you should train your waiters to master:
Selling and Upselling:
- Increased revenue: By encouraging waiters to sell additional items and upsell menu items, restaurants can see an increase in overall revenue. Waiters who are trained to identify opportunities to sell and upsell can make a significant impact on a restaurant’s bottom line.
- Improved customer experience: When waiters are trained in selling and upselling, they can provide customers with more personalized and enjoyable dining experiences. By offering menu suggestions and promoting menu items that are popular or new, waiters can make dining out a more memorable and enjoyable experience for customers.
- Enhanced customer loyalty: When customers have a positive dining experience, they are more likely to return to the restaurant. By training waiters to sell and upsell, restaurants can help ensure that customers have a positive experience, which leads to increased customer loyalty and recurrent business.
- Better use of resources: By upselling menu items, restaurants can better utilize the ingredients and resources they have on hand. This can help reduce waste, increase efficiency, and improve overall profitability.
In conclusion, by training waiters to sell and upsell, restaurants can see an average increase in revenue of 5-10%. This means a restaurant with a monthly revenue of $100,000, implementing a selling and upselling training program could increase revenue by $5,000 to $10,000 per month.
Handling guest complaints:
- Improved customer satisfaction: When waiters are trained to handle customer complaints effectively, they can help resolve the issue in a way that leaves the customer satisfied. This can lead to increased customer loyalty and repeat business for the restaurant.
- Positive reputation: A restaurant that is known for handling customer complaints well can establish a positive reputation in the community. This can attract new customers and help to build a strong brand for the restaurant.
- Increased employee morale: Waiters who are trained to handle customer complaints effectively can feel more confident and empowered in their role. This can lead to increased employee satisfaction and improved morale, which can have a positive impact on the overall atmosphere of the restaurant.
- Reduced turnover: Waiters who feel confident and competent in handling customer complaints are more likely to stay with the restaurant, reducing turnover and reducing the cost of hiring and training new employees.
In conclusion, when waiters are trained to handle customer complaints effectively, customer satisfaction can increase by as much as 15%. This can lead to increased repeat business, which results in a long-term boost to the restaurant’s revenue.
Steps of Service
Training all waiters to follow the same Steps of Service procedures is crucial for a successful and efficient restaurant. Here are a few reasons why:
- Consistent customer experience: When all waiters follow the same Steps of Service procedures, customers can expect a consistent level of service and attention every time they dine at the restaurant. This can lead to increased customer satisfaction and repeat business.
- Improved efficiency: Having all waiters follow the same Steps of Service procedures can streamline the dining experience for customers and help to improve the overall efficiency of the restaurant. This can lead to faster service times and improved customer satisfaction.
- Enhanced teamwork: By following the same Steps of Service procedures, waiters can work together more effectively as a team. This can help to reduce confusion and misunderstandings, leading to a more positive and cooperative work environment.
- Easier training: By having a standard set of Steps of Service procedures, training new waiters become simpler and more efficient. This can help to reduce the cost and time required to train new employees, allowing the restaurant to get new hires up to speed more quickly.
In conclusion, by having all waiters follow the same Steps of Service procedures, restaurants can see an improvement in efficiency and a reduction in errors. This can lead to faster service times and increased customer satisfaction, which will result in a 5-10% increase in revenue.
Additional benefits: By training waiters to handle customer complaints effectively and follow the Steps of Service procedures, restaurants can reduce turnover by as much as 25%. This can result in significant cost savings, as the cost of hiring and training new employees can be substantial.
Implementing a training program that improves your staff skills and knowledge of all three areas will take your restaurant’s profitability to a whole new level!
The choice is yours!
Join The Waiter’s Academy and lift your team performance to the next level!
Post your jobs on Waiters Network for free and find your perfect employee among the bright people we reach daily!