Here are all the points you have to follow to perform the sequence of service for waiters perfectly ( see the video Steps of Service Fine Dining):
1. Acknowledge the guests upon arrival with eye contact and a smile
2. Greet the guests with a smile and a friendly positive attitude
within 2 minutes after seating. Use the name of the restaurant and your name:
“Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to Grand Lux Café, my name is Ned and I will be taking care of you today……
3. Make sure you are shaved (for male waiters), with a proper haircut and clean uniform
4. Suggest cocktails and take a drink order (see selling and up-selling)
5. Deliver the food menus and the wine list
6. Present the specials of the day
7. Serve the drink within 4 to 6 minutes from the order! If not ready check with the bartender! Advise the guests that the drinks are coming right away
8. Take the food order, repeat the order for clarity, and ask about the wine.
9. If needed, make a suggestion about the wine and repeat the wine order for clarity.
10. Send the food order to the kitchen with proper seat positions for every meal!
11. Bring bread and butter to the table
12. Maintain visual contact with the guests at all time
13. Remain friendly and attentive to the guests during the whole evening
14. Prepare the proper silverware for the guest’s order
15. Assure the appetizers are served within 6 to 8 minutes from order. If not check with the kitchen. Advise the guests
16. Ask for a refill of drinks upon arrival of the appetizers or refill glasses periodically if the guests have ordered a bottle of wine
17. Within 2 minutes or two bites (whichever is first) ask the guests if their meals are well prepared and tasty. Take immediate action if a guest is not happy with his/her meal! Advise managers! (This is probably the most important step from the whole sequence of service!)
18. Wait for all the guests to be finished with their meals before cleaning the plates.
19. Call the main course and assure all the guests have proper and clean silverware in front of them
20. Remove the bread, the butter, and the butter plates from the table if the guests are not going to use any more bread with their main course.
21. Assure that the main course is served on time! 18 to 25 minutes (for well-done steaks). If not check with the kitchen. Advise the guests.
22. Ask for a refill of drinks after serving the main course.
23. Wish the guests’ gut appetite and stay attentive in case they need something.
24. Within 2 minutes or 2 bites (whichever is first) acquire if everything is well prepared and testy with their meal. Take appropriate action if a guest is not happy with his/her meal. Advise a manager
25. Wait for all the guests to be finished with their meal before removing the plates!
26. Remove all the silverware and condiments from the table
27. Suggest dessert and coffee and prepare the proper silverware for the order. Bring sugar if coffee is ordered.
28. Assure the tea or the coffee is served promptly. Check with the bartender if not.
29. Assure the dessert is served within 6 minutes from the order. Check with the kitchen if not. Advise the guests.
30. Ask the guests if everything is well prepared and testy 2 minutes or 2 bites after delivering the desserts.
31. Remove empty coffee cups immediately from the table
32. Wait for all the guests to be finished with dessert before removing the plates
33. Remove everything from the table
34. Suggest digestive and ask if the guests have some other wishes.
35. Bring the check immediately if they don’t have any other wishes
36. Take care of the payment immediately
37. Thank the guests for their visit and welcome them back with a smile and friendliness
38. Prepare the table for the next party immediately after the departure of the guests
39. Repeat 😊
Dear friends, learning and most importantly performing the steps of food service for waiters will change your overall experience in the restaurant! You will avoid mistakes, reduce stress, and increase your income! Trust me on that!
I see that a lot of people are searching for this topic using terms as F&B service training, Steps of service fine dining, or Steps of Service Waiter. Any way you call it this is the Sequence of Service in fine dining that you have to follow to ensure a great experience for your guests! To learn more check the LQA standards post.